Free background from VintageMadeForYou

Thursday, July 17, 2014

James Finlayson

  James Finlayson was my great-great grandfather.  His life story is told in his own words.  
 
I, James Finlayson, was born on the 16th of October 1830 in Forfar, Scotland. I do write a few incidents of my life. 

I was schooled at Inverkeillor and Chapelton both in the Parish of Inverkeillor, Scotland, I commenced to learn the Millwright trade with my father, James Finlayson in 1844 Forfarshire, Scotland and worked with him until June 1850. I then went to Dundee and worked for Herr and Company until January 1851 and in that time I was sent North about one hundred and twenty miles to the town of Wick to fit up a mill for grinding oats, was nearly three months there. 

I also while in Dundee first heard the principles of the Latter-day Saints promulgated and which I embraced, and was baptized on the 2nd of August 1850 in Dundee Branch, Scotland. 

I then in January 1851 at the solicitation of my parents returned home to work for my father. I worked with him until the later end of May 1851, at which time I left and went to Glasgow, per railway, through Teffe.

I was called and ordained to the office of Teacher in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on the 14th of December 1851 by Elder Robert Campbell, President of the Glasgow conference. 

In the fall of 1851 I became acquainted with the Partner of my bosom, Jane Malcolm Wand and was married on the 13 day of August 1852 by Robert L. Campbell, Pastor of the Church of Scotland. We lived in No. 15 Crown St. Glasgow.

I was called and ordained to the office of Priest in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on the 18th day of December 1853.

I adopted Thomas Wand on the 21 of June 1853. He was about 6 years old and the son of Andrew Wand. His father died on 21st of June 1853 of consumption. His mother died also of Consumption about 1850. I and family lived in Glasgow until January 1855 when we emigrated to America. Myself, my wife, William Wand about 19 years of age and Thomas Wand about 9 years of age, I paying their passages. 

We sailed from Liverpool on the 21st of January 1855. Arrived at New York on the 18th of February 1855. One male passenger died during the voyage and one sailor was blown from one one of the yards into the sea while reefing one of the sails and was lost during a gale. 

I commenced work in New York for Mr. Birbeck on the 26th day of February 1855. Worked for him about 6 weeks. I then crossed the Hudson River to Hoboken, New Jersey and commenced work for the Government of the United States. I worked there until April 1856, when I and my family moved to Detroit, Michigan. We visited and stayed with my wife's brother about two weeks at his farm about 40 miles from Detroit, Michigan. After which my wife and I moved to the city and I commenced to work for Kendrick and Co. and worked for them until the end of Sept. 1857. On the first of October 1857 I with my family moved to St. Louis arrived on the morning of the 3rd of October. 

My wife being very sick and was so with little variations until the 3rd of February 1858 when death relieved her of her sufferings. I called the best skilled physicians I could find but they could not define the disease or trouble that she died of. 

I commenced work in St. Louis at the Pilt Knob Machine Shop. Worked about nine days when they almost shut up their shop on account of the hard pressure of times and the Money Market caused by the failure of a great many of the Banks and a lack of confidence in the commercial world generally, and which extended through the principal Nations of the world and caused considerable suffering among the inhabitants thereof. I next contracted with Captain Smith  on the Steam Boat Falls City for 35 dollars. Commenced to work on the same 14 days. Received in cash for all, sixty-two dollars. Commenced work at a saw factory on December 30, 1857 at 2 ½ dollars per day, worked 14 ½ days. Contracted to make and erect a hay press for David Todd in St. Louis on January 18th 1858 at 3 dollars per day. Worked 34 ½ days. Again went to work for Walter Huish in his shop, St. Louis, March 18th worked with him until May 23rd, making patterns. When I commenced to work for Fagand Flouring Mill in St. Louis on May 26th, 1858 at 2 ½ dollars per day. Worked for them at Millwrighting until October 25th. Was sent to them to Illinois to repair mills and machinery in the distilleries. They having no more work for me, I again went to work for Mr. Huish making saw mill frames and patterns from Nov 12th, 1858 to February 12, 1859. 

When I again went to work for Mr. Raith and Coy at Summerfield, Illinois on February 16th firing the Engine and flouring Mill until April the 22nd when I finished and started to work the engine and mill, after which I returned to St. Louis to prepare to take my departure for Utah which I did on the 18th of May. 

We sailed from St. Louis on the steam boat Isabella to Florence, Nebraska Territory where we arrived on May 26, and remained here until June 12, preparing for our long march across the plains to Utah Territory and here on the first day of June 1859 Mary Ada Alexander was married to me. So after all the necessary arraignments were accomplished we started on our journey to Utah on the 12th day of June all going well on the journey. We arrived at Salt Lake City, August 23, 1859. Received our endowment on 11 July 1860. Our children as follows: 

1) Fredrick James Finlayson Born May 24th 1860 in Salt Lake City, about noon. 
2) George Alexander Finlayson Born August 14th 1862 at 7 o'clock A.M. In Payson City 
3) Mary Ada Finlayson Born Jan 18th 1865 in Payson City 4)Frank F. Finlayson Born May 20th 1867 in Payson City 
5)Lisle Sara Finlayson Born July 4th 1869 in Payson, Utah Her Aunt Changed her name to Lisle Leigh and had the care and raising of her after her Mother's death on September 19th 1871, in San Francisco.

Our daughter Mary Ada Died April 21st 1866 of Dropsy of the Brain, In Payson, Utah.

My Wife Mary Ada Alexander, Died September 19th, 1871 at ten o'clock in the evening, in San Francisco, California of Pulmonary Consumption.

On the 11th day of August 1873 Sarah Clifford was married to me in Salt Lake City by Joseph F. Smith. Was born on the 5th day of Sept. A.D. 1848 in Greasley Parish, Nottingham Shire England. Widow of Anthony Wilson who Died at the above place on the 24th of March 1871, Their children as follows:

1) Elizabeth Wilson, born Sept 1st 1867, died Nov 12th 1869 2) Emma, born April 23 1869 
3) John, born Oct 25th 1870, died May 15th 1872 

The Children of James Finlayson and Sarah Clifford Wilson: 1) Rosabella Finlayson, Born on the 15th day of June, 1874 at ¼ past 3 o'clock P.M. in Payson City, Utah. Died March 30th 1876 
2) Laura Ann, Born November 13 1876 in Payson City 
3)Alice Mary Finlayson Born March 4th 1878 in Payson City 4)James Henry, Born October 8th 1879 in Payson City 
5)Mary Rosetta, Born June 15th 1882 in Payson City Died October 24th 1882 
6)William John, Born November 25th 1883 in Payson City 7)Jesse David, Born Dec 24th 1885 in Payson City 
8) Harvey Leo, Born April 16th 1888 Blessed by his father when about two weeks old. Died of Disease of the heart on June 15th 1888 in Payson City 
9 and 10) Louis and Louie (Twins) Born on the 9th of April 1889, about 12 o'clock A.M. Night (the girl first) in Payson City. Blessed at our house of the evening of May 21st  Myself administered to the baby boy who was more delicate than the girl, and lived being sickly until February the 3rd 1890. Louie survived him a short time taking sick of Bronchitis soon after his death. She died on March 8th 1890. 
11)Maggie, Born January 23rd 1891 in Payson City. 
12) Roxie Elisa, born October 21st 1892.

Ancestral Line: Janeal K. Smith... Kent Lewis Kindred... Chloris Hill... Alice Mary Finlayson... James Finlayson

No comments:

Post a Comment